Who is the course for? If you enjoy putting pen to paper, or would like to learn how to write creatively come and join like-minded people in one of the Peter Symonds Adult and Higher Education morning, afternoon or evening courses or at a weekend (Saturday) workshop. All Creative Writing courses and weekend workshops are for people who are new to creative writing AND also for those who may have attended any of Nicky's previous courses. This course is for people who enjoy writing for pleasure and all material and exercises will be new.
What are the aims of the course?
- To introduce different styles of writing and enable you to write in contrasting styles.
- To encourage you to use variety in your writing for pleasure and self-development.
What does the course involve? Each session will cover a different aspect of writing through a variety of exercises. You will be looking at styles, genres of established authors and writing in your own style. This covers short stories, poetry, scriptwriting and dialogue and can be adapted to cover areas in which course participants may have a particular interest. There will also be opportunity for people to bring their own work to share with the class.
What topics will I be covering?
- Looking at different styles and genres of writing.
- Writing for pleasure in a variety of exercises: in verse and prose, using different genres, creating short stories, articles, dialogue and play scripts.
- Looking at writing for different audiences.
- Reading more selectively: looking at vocabulary and extending language, developing literary technical terms.
- Learning the art of critique
- Reading other people's writing
- Development of own style of writing.
Do I need any previous knowledge or entry qualifications? None whatsoever, other than an enjoyment of reading and writing.
What do I need to prepare for the course? To read as wide a selection of authors as possible.
If you have any queries about the course content please feel free to email the tutor Nicky Morris on firstname.lastname@example.org
How much time do I need to spend on home study? Optional weekly written exercise, for termly courses, plus reading for pleasure.
Materials Required: Paper/pens (maybe a word processor/computer at home).
What could the course lead to?
- Self-satisfaction, self-awareness and self-development.
- Seeing your written word in print.
- Also further studies in English, Communication Studies and Journalism.
If you have any queries about the course content please feel free to email the tutor, Nicky Morris, on email@example.com or the Head of Leisure, Demelsa Healey, firstname.lastname@example.org